October is going to be a very busy month, please hit see more to see all the upcoming events!!!
October 3-6: Students in grades 2-6 will be taking the Terra Nova Standardized Test. It is very important for students to be well rested and have a good breakfast during these tests. We use the scores to see where your child is struggling and where the school may need improvements. Last year was our first year with the Terra Nova and we were very pleased with the results!
October 5: Assembly!! The Pittsburgh Zoo mobile will be visiting us with the program “The Choice is Yours”. This program is funded by your Shop n Save dollars that are collected when you swipe your PERKS card. If you have not registered your PERKS card for our school there is a link on our webpage to get you started.
October 8: The CD of A is holding their annual yard sale. If you have things you would like to donate they can be dropped off on Friday, October 7th . Shopping begins at 9:00 a.m. Saturday.
October 12: Picture Day! This is a dress up day for school pictures. Lifetouch forms will be coming home Monday. I highly recommend getting online to place your order. You have more choices and flexibility in your packages. Please make sure clothes have sleeves and shoes cover all the toes, no sandals. Extra clothes can be sent in for the rest of the day if you are concerned about recess and lunch. All pictures are taken before lunch.
Home and School Meeting/ Open House: The Home and School Meeting will begin at 6:00 with Open House following. Open House will end at 8:00 p.m. We encourage you and your family to attend both events.
October 21: No School- Teacher In-service
October 25: Passages will be coming to talk to the students about personal safety. A letter will be coming home mid-October with further details.
Hoagie Delivery after school.
October 27: Trunk or Treat sponsored by the Home and School. Details to come mid- October PLEASE NO TREATS THAT CONTAIN PEANUTS in the INGREDIENTS.
October 28: Halloween Parties and Dress Down
- It is a Halloween Dress Down Day
- Students are dismissed at 12:00 to go home and change into their costumes for the afternoon Halloween Parties
- Students arrive back at school by 12:50 for school Halloween Parade
- Halloween Parade begins at 1:00 in the school parking lot, family and friends are welcome to watch. Parade will move to gym if it is raining.
- Classroom parties follow the parade; most classes have parents assigned to each of the parties. Please see your classroom teacher.
- PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE BE AWARE OF FOOD ALLERGIES WHEN YOU BUY OR MAKE TREATS/SNACKS FOR THE PARTY. DO NOT BRING IN SOMETHING THAT A CHILD IS ALLERGIC TO IN THE CLASS. WE WILL THROW IT AWAY. WE HAVE THE FOLLOWING ALLERGIES THIS YEAR: PEANUTS, MILK, EGGS, RED DYE #5. Please ask the classroom teacher what allergies are in your child’s class and avoid bringing it in. The teachers and myself are more than willing to give you suggestions.
AMAZON SMILE: For those of you who are amazon users, the school has registered for an Amazon Smile account. When you shop through our account the school receives a small donation based on your purchases. There is a link at the bottom of the school page to get you started.
Makerspace: I hope your child is enjoying our pilot year of Makerspace. A makerspace is a place were kids can spend time doing hands- on learning concentrated in STEAM experiences. Now that we have the basics set up we are looking for more “stuff” to add to our learning environment. If you have any of the following at home, we would love to have it!
Toilet paper tubes
Tinker toys, Lincoln logs or other building sets
Have a great month and if you have any questions or concerns please contact me!