Digital Citizenship UnderstandingSs. Cosmas & Damian School aims to offer opportunities and support for our students to learn to become positive digital citizens. The following is a document of understanding for students.
Students’ Digital Citizenship Understanding
As a student I will, in my actions and behavior, demonstrate:
Respect for God.
- I am God’s creation. I will conduct myself, treat others and use information and communication technologies (ICT) in a way that celebrates His creation.
“But, as He who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in every aspect of your conduct, for it is written, ‘Be holy because I AM holy.'” (1 Peter 1:15-16)
Respect for myself.
- I will show that I am God’s creation.
- I will leave a positive digital footprint.
- I will be honest and trustworthy.
- I will think of consequences before I communicate.
- I will use proper language.
- I will keep my personal details private.
- I will protect my password(s).
- I will seek the support of a trusted adult who I know personally if I experience problems or feel uncomfortable online.
- I will use the tools available to me for learning.
- I will keep up-to-date with information sent to me.
Respect for others.
- I will show God’s love for others, online.
- I will treat others how I want to be treated.
- I will not bully or tease.
- I will respect the privacy and personal details of others.
- I will ask permission before capturing, editing or publishing/sharing images, video, audio and work of others.
- If I have a problem, I will talk face to face with the person with whom I have a problem in a respectful way.
- I will respect the efforts of other people to support the learning and behavior of all students.
- I will allow staff to access and handle my personal technology to assist me and support appropriate use and behavior.
Responsible and lawful behavior.
- I will respect all laws and the legal rights of others.
- I will behave in accordance with the rules, policies and procedures of Ss. Cosmas & Damian School.
- I will behave in accord with my responsibilities to my family.
- I will accept responsibility for my actions.
- instruction to delete inappropriate apps or content
- confiscation of my institutional technology
- blocking or restriction of Internet and network access
- detentions or suspension at school or home
- cancellation of enrollment
- notification of my actions to Police and/or the relevant authorities.
School SupportIn support of appropriate student use of information and communication technologies (ICT), the school will:
- Assist students to understanding and demonstrate appropriate behavior and positive digital citizenship.
- an email account to support communication (3rd-6th grade and staff only)
- controlled or filtered internet connection
- storage for files on the school network
- a log of internet access.
- Files saved on the school network are part of our back-up regime.
Note: all messages sent and received in Google Apps (Gmail, Hangouts and Drive) are archived for a period of 10 years. Ss. Cosmas & Damian reserves the right to access user data as part of investigations authorized by the Principal and/or Pastor or their delegate.
In the case of inappropriate or unacceptable use:
- Ss. Cosmas & Damian will respond in accord with our rules, policies and procedures.
- The accounts of users may be suspended.
- Appropriate law enforcement agencies and Government authorities may be notified.
- IT Support staff will address problems encountered in one working day, if possible. In the case of a major intrusion or misappropriation of our facilities, services may be suspended to protect privacy, and re-establish security. Implications of such action for school educative and business processes will be addressed as required by the Executive team with support from the IT Manager.